For the Underground Crafter Christmas in July Make-Along, my contribution is the “Ho Ho Merlot” Bottle Boot. Hey, even Santa needs a glass of wine from time to time, am I right? So why not leave it in his boot in the German tradition of St. Nicholas?
This boot can also be filled with candy, a festive Christmas poinsetta or cactus.
At a craft fair last year, I saw an adorable take on a Santa boot candy dish using a terra cotta pot and an overturned bowl, both wrapped with a ribbon and decorated with baubles and flowers on the front. I loved the way the two shapes fit together to make something so recognizable, yet these two shapes were rarely assembled in this way. It was just so ingenious!
The “Ho Ho Merlot” boot is assembled in much the same way. The heel and upper are one large hollow piece and the toe is an upside-down bowl shape.
“Ho Ho Merlot” Bottle Boot
Pattern is written in English, in US terms using Craft Yarn Council abbreviations.
Easy. Knowledge needed of chains (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), double crochet (dc), back loops only (BLO), increases and decreases.
- Red Heart Super Saver yarn, 100% acrylic, worsted weight, 364 yds/7 oz/198 g, Cherry Red (RED) <1 ball, White (WHT) <1 ball, Black (BLK) <1 ball, Gold (GLD) <1 ball.
- Furls Odyssey G (4.00 mm) hook
- Polyfil stuffing
- Tapestry needle
- Straight pins (optional)
7.5″ tall x 8″ long when cuff is folded down
Diameter: Inside of boot 3” in diameter and holds a standard 750 ml wine bottle
8 sts x 8 rows = 2” x 2” in sc.
- Work in continuous rounds. Do not slip stitch unless otherwise specified by the pattern.
- For best results, assemble parts in order as directed.
- Ch-2 at beginning of row counts as dc.
- Surface sc – Surface single crochet – Working around posts or in spaces of finished work, insert hook into desired stitch, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through both loops on hook.
Heel and Upper
With BLK, ch 2.
Rnd 1: 8 sc in second ch from hook. (8)
Rnd 2: Inc in each st around. (16)
Rnd 3: [Sc, inc] 8 times. (24)
Rnd 4: [2 sc, inc] 8 times. (32)
Rnd 5: [3 sc, inc] 8 times. (40)
Rnd 6: Working in BLO, sc evenly around. (40)
Rnds 7-8: Work in both loops, sc evenly around.
Rnd 9: change to RED, sc evenly around.
Rnd 10: [7 sc, inc] 5 times. (45)
Rnd 11: [8 sc, inc] 5 times. (50)
Rnds 12-15: Sc evenly around.
Rnd 16: [8 sc, dec] 5 times. (45)
Rnd 17: [7 sc, dec] 5 times. (40)
Rnds 18-20: Sc evenly around.
Rnd 21: [7 sc, inc] 5 times. (45)
Rnds 22-27: Sc evenly around.
Rnd 28: [8 sc, inc] 5 times. (50)
Rnds 29-37: Sc evenly around, at end of Round 37, Change to WHT.
Rnd 38: [(Sc, dc) in next st, sk 1] 25 times. (50)
Rnds 39-44: Repeat Round 38, at end of Round 44, sc in 1st st of next rnd, sl st. Bind off and weave in ends.
With RED, ch 2.
Rnd 1: 6 sc in second ch from hook. (6)
Rnd 2: Inc in each st around. (12)
Rnd 3: [sc, inc] 6 times. (18)
Rnd 4: [2 sc, inc] 6 times. (24)
Rnd 5: [3 sc, inc] 6 times. (30)
Rnd 6: [4 sc, inc] 6 times. (36)
Rnd 7: [5 sc, inc] 6 times. (42)
Rnds 8-13: Sc evenly around.
Rnd 14: Change to BLK, sc evenly around.
Rnd 15-16: Sc evenly around.
Rnd 17: Working in BLO, [5 sc, dec] 6 times. (36)
Rnd 18: [4 sc, dec] 6 times. (30)
Rnd 19: [3 sc, dec] 6 times. (24)
Rnd 20: [2 sc, dec] 6 times. (18)
Rnd 21: [sc, dec] 6 times. (12)
Stuff. Do not over-stuff; bottom must remain flat.
Rnd 22: Dec 6 times. (6)
Cut yarn. Thread needle through back loops of remaining 6 stitches. Pull tight to close. Leave long tail for sewing.
With BLK, ch 21.Leave long tail for sewing at beginning of ch.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook, sc 19, turn. (20)
Row 2: Ch 1, sc 20, turn. (20)
Rows 3-5: Repeat Row 2.
Bind of leaving long tail for sewing.
With GLD, ch 20, being careful not to twist, sl st in 1st ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 2, 5 dc, 3 dc in next ch, 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch, 5 dc, 3 dc in next ch, 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch, sl st in top of 1st dc to join. Bind of leaving long tail for sewing. (28 dc)
- With scraps of BLK and tapestry needle, sew toe to heel at color change rounds along 12 stitches. With scraps of RED, sew toe to heel at Round 6 of toe and Round 17 of heel along 5 stitches.
- Using tail, sew buckle to center of strap. Buckle with slightly overlap strap on top and bottom.
- Position strap on boot so buckle is centered over toe/heel attachment and straps angle downward toward heel at about a 45-degree angle. Buckle and strap should obscure upper toe/heel attachment. Using beginning and end tails on strap, sew ends of strap to boot.
- Boot detail: With BLK, sl st anywhere along color change round of heel, surface sc (see Pattern Stitches) around outside of color change round on heel AND toe, sl st in 1st st to join. Bind off and weave in ends.
- Fold upper down at about Round 38 so WHT creates a cuff.
Weave in all attachment ends when parts are positioned as desired.
All finished? Share your art work by posting a picture in the Gallery!!
Post comments and pictures on social media with the hashtag #hookedbykati, or tag me @hookedbykati. You can also post pictures on the Facebook Page, or in the Hooked by Kati Crochet Community Facebook Group.
You may sell products made by this pattern, but please link back to hookedbykati.com or credit Hooked By Kati on the craft fair tag. Do not copy this pattern for distribution or sale; that’s not nice and also illegal.
If you run into a snag, drop me a line! I respond quickly and will help any way I can to clarify any confusion or challenging stitches.
Find more free patterns like this at allfreecrochet.com.
Not ready to start? Save this pattern for later!
Kati is the designer behind Hooked by Kati. With thousands of patterns sold around the world, Kati prides herself in creating innovative, easy-to-follow amigurumi patterns. She has designed for several publications, including Crochet!, Crochet World, Simply Crochet, and I Like Crochet. Kati finds her inspiration in science fiction, video games, and numerous visits to the zoo — all passions she shares with her husband and two boys.