If you have browsed around Hooked by Kati, you will know how much I love to use the loop stitch in my crochet amigurumi. This tutorial will show you how to do the loop stitch as well as loop stitch increases and decreases.
The loop stitch is my favorite stitch for making fur for a number of reasons.
- No weaving in strands after the fact! The loop stitch allows you to add fur as you go! It’s so much faster than threading it like fringe.
- Nice, even fur. The loop stitch allows you to create nice, even length of fur all over the body of your amigurumi.
- Versatility. The loop stitch can be done in every row, every other row, or is fits and spurts. It can be left in loops, cut into straight pieces, or even brushed into fluffy fur! All with the same stitch!
In my patterns, the loop stitch is abbreviated as “loop-st” with “inc” or “dec” after it as needed. For example, if you were to make 3 loop stitches, then done one loop stitch dec, it would look like:
“3 loop-st, loop-st dec”
Some designers also use “lp st” to abbreviate loop stitch.
Right-Handed Loop Stitch Tutorial
Left-Handed Loop Stitch Tutorial
Loop Stitch: Step By Step
- Insert hook into stitch.
- Wrap yarn front to back over index finger.
- Using hook, go over the yarn on the far side of your finger.
- Go under the far side strand and grab the near side strand with the hook.
- Pull the loop on the hook back around the far side strand the way you came.
- Pull the loop through the stitch.
- Yarn over, pull through both loops on hook to finish the loop stitch.
- Remove your finger from the loop.
Keep practicing and you will have it down in no time!
Now Show Off Your Skills!
I’d love to see your loop stitches! Take a picture and upload it to Instagram with the hashtag #hookedbykati or tag me directly with @hookedbykati. Your beautiful stitch work could be featured in our weekly newsletter!
Want to use your new skill in a few amigurumi patterns? Here are a few Hooked by Kati patterns that feature the loop stitch!
- Bosco the Sloth (Premium Pattern)
- Regal the Peacock (His tail feathers include loop stitches for texture!)
- The Worry Pet (with the loops cut and fluffed with a brush!)
Have more questions? I’m always here to help!
Kati is the designer behind Hooked by Kati. With thousands of patterns sold around the world, Kati prides herself in creating innovative, easy-to-follow amigurumi patterns. She has designed for several publications, including Crochet!, Crochet World, Simply Crochet, and I Like Crochet. Kati finds her inspiration in science fiction, video games, and numerous visits to the zoo — all passions she shares with her husband and two boys.